Follow Us

Erie Street Fire 1

A stove accidentally turned on and left unattended caused a fire early Tuesday evening at an apartment building in the 4000 block of Erie Street.

Crews from the Racine Fire Department responded around 5:20 p.m. and discovered the fire. Damage was estimated at about $37,000 and contained to the single unit, a press release from RFD reads.

No one was injured.

The man living in the affected apartment reportedly bumped into the stove, accidentally turning on a burner. A cordless drill on top of the stove started on fire.

Scanner chatter Wednesday indicated Racine police shut down area streets and evacuated the building. A city bus was called to keep residents warm, and the Red Cross was notified.

One resident said they didn’t know where the fire originated, just that they heard the alarms.

Erie Street Fire 2

Erie Street Fire 3