Follow Us

A small fire that started in a bedroom because a child was playing with a lighter was quickly extinguished and caused around $500 in damages.

Racine firefighters were called at 5:47 a.m. Friday to a home in the 1700 block of Kentucky for a report of a fire. When crews arrived, the homeowner told them he heard a smoke alarm sound, and when he went to investigate found a small fire in a child’s bedroom.

The homeowner put the fire out with a fire extinguisher, and a child admitted to playing with a lighter and starting the fire.

No one was injured, and the residents were allowed back in their home.