Local, state and federal officials today joined investment and development partners to celebrate the ground breaking of 1418-1424 Washington Avenue–the newest mixed use total building rehabilitation in Racine’s Uptown neighborhood.
Mayor Cory Mason spoke and stated “The City of Racine has committed a large percentage of our energy and HUD block grant funds to the Greater Uptown area to be used by the city and our community partners like Racine Revitalization Partnership. We have committed specific funds to job training, single-family housing construction, parks improvements, street tree planting, and quality rental unit construction to the Uptown area to concentrate investment and hopefully increase the benefit of each project to the community. 1418-1424 Washington is one of these projects and the first of what we hope are many.”
1418-1424 Washington Ave. will consist of 2-Loft style apartment units 1-one bedroom, and 1-two bedroom as well as 2-commercial spaces. One of the commercial spaces already has a very strong potential tenant that will provide services to the many people who work in Uptown. The apartments will be entirely new and will require income qualification.
Ed Miller, the Executive Director of the Racine Revitalization Partnership, Inc. stated that “in order for the development of mixed use buildings to continue in Uptown, we must provide business opportunities that serve the local area. The retail spaces must be made useful by using creative and entrepreneurial business solutions.”
Many local organizations, financial institutions and government leaders played a role in developing this project. Partners in the project include: Housing and Urban Development (HUD), The City of Racine, The Racine Development Authority, Town Bank, Great Lakes Community Conservation Corps, and ARC Architectural.
The apartment portion of this project is partially financed through Housing and Urban Development funds, portions of which are made available only to Community Housing Development Organizations such as the Racine Revitalization Partnership, Inc. Private financing through Town Bank and the transfer of the building form the Racine Development Authority also contribute to making this project possible. The newly rehabilitated building will once again add to the local property tax base, helping to build up Racine one building at a time.
The Racine Revitalization Partnership, Inc. (RRP) is located at 1402 Washington Ave. Racine, WI. RRP is a 501 c3 that began operations in January of 2017 with a focus on the Uptown and surrounding Tower View and Slausondale neighborhoods. The purpose of RRP is to stimulate smart, community-driven reinvestment in our target neighborhood with a particular emphasis on restoring vacant properties to productive use. RRP also continues to be advocates for the neighborhood and its people.