Longtime local manufacturer Knapp Mfg. will grow again with its largest expansion since its founding in 1955.
A 14,000 square-foot building will be completed by early January 2019 and will be the 12th expansion Knapp has made on its current site, 5102 Douglas Ave. The new building will be a two-story structure. It will house the company’s Innovation & Technology Center, as well as a Business Process Center of Excellence, automation department, and mold vault.
In the last four years, Knapp has added 31 permanent positions to its workforce, a second warehouse, and 2-acre parking lot to its campus.
In 1961, the company entered the plastic injection molding field, specializing in intricate aircraft instrument components, medical equipment and spray tip inserts for aerosol cans. Today, Knapp Mfg. has 32 injection molding machines, a modern tool room and assembly departments that support the company’s custom work.
According to the company’s website, Fred Knapp began his business in the basement of his home in 1945 as an industrial engraver, naming his new company Fred Knapp Engraving Co. He was joined by his three sons, Bob, Ray and Rich. The company specialized in steel marking stamps, engraved signs and dials.
In 2013 Fred Knapp Engraving Co. became Knapp Mfg. to better reflect the company’s business today.
To see the construction as it progresses, visit the Knapp Mfg. Inc. website.