Follow Us

Racine Fire Department units responded New Year’s Day to a fire at 1733 Grange Ave. (lower) for a report of a structure fire. The call came just before noon. Heavy fire was showing from ground floor windows on two sides of the two-family home.

An elderly woman and her adult son escaped from the first floor, while a young couple with a 2-year-old son managed to escape from the upper level.

No injuries to the occupants or firefighters were reported.

After the fire was extinguished, firefighters from Engine 5 located a bearded dragon named Rex in his cage. The reptile survived the flames and smoke; he was placed in a box and returned to his owners.

Red Cross responded to the fire and is assisting the victims who have been displaced by the fire.

Rex Davenport

Rex Davenport is a reporter, editor and editorial project manager with more than 40 years of experience in newspaper, business magazines and other content channels.