Follow Us

RACINE, WI – One person was injured during a fire that ripped through a two-family home at 1808-1810 9th Street Sunday night.

Bystanders noticed the fire in the second story balcony and called 911.  Before firefighters arrived on scene, a man went into the home to see if someone might be trapped. He broke down two doors before turning back because of the heavy smoke and high heat, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

Once on scene, rescue personnel with the Racine Fire Department evaluated the man on scene. But he declined further treatment or transport.

No one was inside the home at the time of the fire, but the tenants — Jackie Singleton and Paula Boiken — arrived on the scene later.

Fire crews put out the fire quickly. WE Energies disconnected utilities. Red Cross responded to help Singleton and Boiken. The estimated damage to the home is $120,000. There was significant smoke and fire damage to the second floor. The first floor and basement had water damage.

“This fire provides an educational reminder opportunity. Remember, ‘Once you’re out, Stay Out,’” said Captain Craig Ford. “Entering a building on fire is dangerous and that action carries with it the potential that civilian rescuers could turn into additional victims. An already bad situation would be made much worse.”

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.