Follow Us

RACINE, WI – A family home caught fire Thursday from a gas stove burner, killing two of the family’s three dogs.

The four family members, two adults and two children, were not home and firefighters rescued one of their three dogs from the building.

Firefighters responded at 2:21 p.m. Oct. 3 to 1823 Mars Avenue for a report of smoke coming from the home’s roof. Personnel on Engine 2 declared a working fire upon arrival. Damage to the residence is estimated to be $75,000.

According to the Racine Fire Department, Engine 2’s crew forced entry to the residence and located a fire coming from the kitchen.
Crew members searched the home and found a black lab, giving him emergency oxygen. The dog was later transported to WVRC Emergency & Specialty Pet Care, 333 Old Green Bay Rd, to be treated for his injuries.

Two other dogs, another black lab and a Siberian husky, were located by crew members, though they were unable to be revived the dogs and they died on the scene.

The Racine Police and Fire Departments, WE Energies and the American Red Cross are intervening in the crisis. Family members whose home was affected are safe and receiving Red Cross aid.

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.