Follow Us

RACINE, WI – One person was injured in a house fire that happened at 10:47 p.m. Thursday at 2060 Deane Blvd.

A woman was treated at the scene, but she refused care, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

The fire broke out just before 11 p.m. When fire and rescue personnel responded to the scene, they found a family of four — three adults and a 12-year-old girl — had already evacuated the home. Firefighters rescued the family’s dog.

Crews battled a heavy fire on the second floor that had entered the walls and the attic. It took them about a half-hour to stop the fire.

Firefighters determined that the cause of the accidental fire was a misuse of a cigarette lighter.

We Energies crews secured the gas and electric service. Officials with the American Red Cross of Wisconsin assisted the displaced family. The estimated loss is $85,000.

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.