Follow Us

RACINE – A family of five people were displaced by a fire in a Downtown Racine apartment building Friday evening. No one was injured.

The Racine Fire Department (RFD) was called to an apartment building at 400 Seventh Street about 7:40 p.m. Friday. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire in one of the apartment units.

An investigation showed that the fire started in one of the apartment bedrooms when an occupant connected a window air conditioning unit power cord into a power strip that malfunctioned. The American Red Cross assisted the family who were displaced by the fire.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 damage to the building and $500 to contents. The RFD Fire Prevention Bureau urges everyone to always follow manufacturer instructions when using power strips and extension cords.

Paul Holley is retired from careers in journalism, public relations and marketing but not from life. These days, he pretty much writes about what he feels like writing. You may contact him directly at:...