The 4th of July is this week and there are a lot of things going on around town. This holiday is known for extravagant parades, family parties, and fireworks.
Fun Things To Do on July 3:
Fun Things To Do on July 4:
- Welcome Home Ceremony and Flag Presentation
- Starts at 7:30 a.m.
- Racine 4th Fest Parade
- Starts at 9 a.m.
- Union Grove 4th of July Parade
- Starts at 9 a.m.
- 2019 Union Grove 4th of July Parade “Moon Landing 50th Anniversary”
- 9 to 11:30 a.m.
- Parade of Planes
- Starts at 6 p.m.
- Downtown Racine Fireworks
- Starts at dusk at North Beach
- Raymond Festivities
- Starts at 10 a.m.
The history of the 4th of July
- Philadelphia held the first annual commemoration of independence on July 4, 1777, while Congress was still occupied with the ongoing war.
- Massachusetts became the first state to make July 4th an official state holiday
- In 1870, the U.S. Congress made July 4th a federal holiday; in 1941, the provision was expanded to grant a paid holiday to all federal employees.
Here are some tips for keeping safe during the festivities.
- Always have an adult present, even for sparklers.
- Keep a safe distance away after lighting fireworks.
- Don’t point the fireworks at another person, house, vehicle, etc.
- Keep a hose or bucket of water nearby in case of a fire.
- Make sure that it is legal to shoot the fireworks in your area.
- Be aware if there are any fireworks sensitive neighbors and let them know ahead of time so they can prepare.
If you have a dog that is afraid of the loud noises, here is a tip for helping them calm down
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/