Advertisements

Racine fire and rescue personnel responded to a stove fire at 7:15 a.m. Sunday at 834 Sandra Ct., which displaced five people and caused $20,000 in damage.

Lonie Blackwell, who rented a unit in a side-by-side townhouse, called 911 after she saw that her stove was on fire, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

When the Racine Fire Department responded, they found flames coming out of a first floor window. All five people in the two-unit home were able to get out of the building safely.

The fire was contained to the first floor. However, the five occupants all needed help from the Red Cross because of the damage to the home. The fire is being classified as accidental.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.