We get it. You’re busy, but you can stay in the know with our handy 5 things you need to know this week, which features five causes and civic events going on. So here’s what’s happening.
- Faith Hope & Love, a nonprofit that helps children in crises is raising funds for a receiving house and they are asking the community for donations.There aren’t enough homes for children entering foster care in Racine County (and in most places nationally). We believe our community will rise to help take care of our kids and give them a safe place to live when they first enter foster care. To donate, click here.
- Racine County Eye is hosting a seminar for small businesses on marketing and advertising with us from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Office at 410 Main St. We’re entering our fifth year of business and finished out 2017 with 1.5 million page views. We regularly have 50,000 people per month coming to the site. We help business get their message in front of the right audience with creative marketing solutions that fit your budget.
- Downtown Racine Corp. is opening the ice rink at noon Monday since children are off school.
Free ice skate rentals will be available from noon until 4 p.m. on Monday at Monument Square. The rink will be open every day on Monument Square from 9 a.m. to 9 pm from January to March.
Ice skates will also be available to rent from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, noon to 5 p.m. Saturday, and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays. Rentals are free, but you must provide an I.D. as collateral.
The early opening of the rink comes just in time for the Fire and Ice Festival, which will be held Saturday, Jan. 20. The event kicks off Downtown Racine’s restaurant week. The festival will feature ice skating and a bonfire. Festival-goers can enjoy some hot cocoa while they watch local ice carvers. DRC will also be collecting blankets for a blanket drive.
- The Public Service Commission of Wisconsin, in partnership with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, is currently identifying issues and conducting analyses to include in the draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) related to American Transmission Company’s (ATC) proposed new transmission line and substation work for the proposed Foxconn plant. Two public meetings will be held: 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. Tuesday at the State of Wisconsin Offices, 9531 Rayne Road in Sturtevant. The meeting will be held in the large conference room.
- Spirit of Winter Poetry will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday at the Siena Retreat Center, 5637 Erie St. Winter carries many moods and meanings for the human soul. What is its spirit for you? The human spirit expresses its winter waiting, exhilaration, endurance, warmth, and trust in life through the written word. Let us come together on this mid-winter day to expand our souls as we explore these poetries of winter.
Click here for more calendar listings.