Citizens who plan to sell their car using ads posted online on sites like craigslist.com have a new rule they have to follow to keep the transaction legal.
A law that went into effect Jan. 1 requires private car sales to be registered with the state within 30 days of the sale, a store posted at cbs58.com reads.
Sales can be recorded online by using the state Department of Motor Vehicles’ Seller Notify page. Sellers should be prepared to list the following:
- Vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle
- Identity of the individual buyer
- Sale price
- Date of sale
Seller information is also required so be prepared to provide:
- Your full name or stateWisconsin driver license or identification card number (or full name)
- The last four digits of your social security number
- Your date of birth
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) for the vehicle
After the seller’s notification is completed, they can choose to print, save and/or have their confirmation emailed to them.
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/