January is national blood donor month. Open to the public, the BloodCenter of Wisconsin is taking appointments on their website. According to the BloodCenter of Wisconsin, about 60 percent of the population can give blood, but less than 5 percent of the population does.
Here are the eligibility requirements:
- Be at least 17 years old (16-year-olds may donate with parental consent. For more information, please read Parental Information on Blood Donation.
- Weigh at least 110 lbs.
- Feel well on day of donation
- Be free of major cold and flu symptoms
- Present a photo ID with birth date
- Not have had hepatitis after age 11 years
- Not have had any risk factors/behaviors associated with HIV/AIDS