Lamont Koker, 17, and Naceir Mayes, 15, are facing adult felony charges of 1st degree attempted intentional homicide for allegedly shooting a 17-year-old boy in the chest Jan. 21 after he got off a bus at the transit center on State Street. The two cases are being tried separately. Due to the nature of the charge involving attempted homicide and Mayes’ age, state law calls for his case to be tried in adult court unless his attorney makes a request for it be tried in juvenile court.
Mayes’ attorney, Richard Henry Hart, made the reverse waiver request on Monday, Feb. 16, which asked Racine County Felony Court Judge John Jude to allow the case to be heard in juvenile court.
Jude is expected to make the decision on the request on May 8. But Racine County District Attorney Rich Chiapete said the state wants to see Mayes tried as an adult.
“We believe it should be tried in adult court,” Chiapete said. “We’re going to be asking the judge to retain jurisdiction in adult court.””
According to their criminal complaints, Mayes admitted to police that he and Koker are members of a gang, and they had problems with the victim, who is a member of a rival gang on the other side of town. The defendants were both armed when they reportedly went to the bus station to confront the boy.
Police say during a brief verbal exchange, both Mayes and Koker fired, and it is unclear who fired the shot that hit the victim in the chest. The second shot grazed the arm of the boy’s sweatshirt.
Koker entered a plea of not guilty in Racine County Circuit Court Tuesday during an arraignment in the shooting of another teenager last week at the Racine Transit Center. Koker is also charged with carrying a concealed weapon, and Mayes is charged with possession of a firearm by a felon and possession of marijuana.
Koker and Mayes remain in the Racine County Jail on $500,000 cash bonds.