Journalism. We believe it should help you live a better life.

That’s why we spend a lot less time on publishing mug shots and a lot more time helping you understand the employment market, figure out how to spend more time with friends and family with our events calendar, and what you can do to help businesses that have opened up. Make no mistake…we aren’t shy. We tackle the big stuff, like COVID and issues around race.

And if you believe in the value of journalism — that it should help, not exploit — please consider becoming a paid member of the Racine County Eye today. We can’t do this work without you.

A Racine man is accused of shooting a friend’s ex-boyfriend after he hit the woman in the face early Friday morning.

Phalon Hunter-Barker, 25, of Racine, was charged by the Racine County District Attorney’s Office with first-degree intentional homicide and possession of a firearm by a felon.

If convicted of the charge, Hunter-Barker faces up to life in prison and fined up to $25,000.

According to the criminal complaint, Hunter-Barker is accused of shooting Anthony T. Jones, 28, of Racine, in the upper left chest. The mother Jones’ children told police that she went to a Racine bar with Hunter-Barker when Jones showed up. Questioning their relationship, the woman explained to Jones that she and Hunter-Barker were just friends.

The two left and went to another bar where Jones showed up again. The two left that bar and started driving around. Thinking they had lost Jones, the two went to his mother’s home on Roosevelt Avenue. At the apartment building, Jones confronted the couple in the parking lot. Hunter-Barker and Jones exchanged words.

Jones hit the woman in the face and she fell to the ground. She told police that’s when she heard gun shots and saw Hunter-Barker shoot Jones. Following the shooting, Jones ran away and Hunter-Barker went to help the woman.

The two then went to the woman’s mother’s apartment and Hunter-Barker left for a while and came back. The woman told police she thought Hunter-Barker was “cleaning up any evidence of the shooting incident.”

When he returned, the two left and Hunter-Barker took the woman back to her residence. The next morning, the woman learned that Jones had died.

The woman told police she was “110 percent” sure that Hunter-Barker shot Jones because of their friendship. She told police that she didn’t ask for Hunter-Barker’s help and didn’t know he had a gun.

During the investigation, detectives found a .38 special handgun locked in a basement storage unit in his mother’s apartment. Jones died from a gunshot wound and the medical examiner told police that they recovered a .38 bullet during the autopsy.

Hunter-Barker, who is being held on a $100,000 cash bond, is set to have a preliminary hearing at 8:30 a.m.  Nov. 23 in front of Racine County Court Commissioner Alice Rudebusch.



Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.