Two Caledonia Police officers and a Caledonia woman are credited with saving the life of an elderly man on Saturday after he had a heart-related issue at a local restaurant.
The man was at Oh Dennis! Saloon & Charcoal House, 4301 Douglas Ave., celebrating his 50th wedding anniversary when he passed out at the restaurant, according to a press release by the Caledonia Police Department.
Officers Chad Zoltak and Matthew Tingwald arrived within a minute of the calling coming in at 4:29 p.m. When they arrived, they found Heather Flemming, of Caledonia, doing CPR on him. Zoltak and Tingwald had an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED), a device that diagnoses life-threatening heart issues.
When Zoltak and Tingwald connected the machine to the man, it advised them to ‘shock’ his heart. When they performed the task, the AED advised them to stop doing CPR. He then regained consciousness and began speaking.
The officers had just received recertification training from the American Heart Association on CPR/AED, which was administered by the Caledonia Fire Department.
“The Caledonia Police Department is proud these officers were able to use their training to save the life of (the man),” the press release reads. “The Caledonia Police Department would also like to recognize the citizen who assisted with CPR, identified as Heather Flemming of Caledonia.”
Their efforts prevented a potentially tragic event.
Read other stories by Racine County Eye:
Cartoon: Just Say Uncle
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/