The drop-off site will be open from 1:30 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday west of the Village’s Safety Building, 6900 Nicholson Road. It will close for the season the last Sunday in November. When these hours extend beyond dusk, the facility will close at dark.
However, village officials may also close the site if there is inclement weather.
- Residents may bring the following material to the site:
- Grass Clippings
- Brush/Branches (Max. 20” in diameter, 6’ long)
No milled lumber, fencing, sod, soil, concrete, rocks, garbage or recycled materials will be accepted.
“Contractors will not be permitted. Customer must be village of Caledonia residents. A picture ID will be required. The Yard Waste Site is available for free for all Caledonia residents. Even though the Village allows Open Burning for Yard Waste, let’s practice being Good Neighbors and limiting the amount of smoke produced in our neighborhoods,” according to a press release by the Village.
Open burning regulations
1. It is the intent of the Section that all allowed Open Burning is conducted in a safe pollution free manner.
2. Open fires of clean and dry combustible “Yard Waste”, such as dry leaves or dry plant clippings, from a plant, tree or shrub, not including firewood are allowed on residential property between the hours of noon and 7 p.m.
3. The fire must be at least 10 feet from the property line and not on any public right of way.
4. The fire must be at least 50) feet from any structure on or off of the property, unless the fire is contained in a metal, brick, stone, earthen, or concrete container or pit and then such fire shall be at least ten (10) feet from any structure on or off of the property.
5. The base of the fire shall be no more than six (6) feet in diameter and producing flame no more than five feet in height.
6. Outdoor fires for cooking, recreation and ceremonies are allowed during all hours and do not require prior notification or the approval of the Fire Chief under subsection (g) of the regulations.
Prohibited fire in Caledonia
1. Burning in ditches and the Village right-of-way.
2. Burning by Business Prohibited, even where the business is operated out of a home, no Open Burning is permitted under any condition.
3. Construction debris, such as wood scraps, shingles, insulation, etc., is prohibited, regardless of whether such burning is done by the property owner, contractor, worker or other person responsible for the site.
4. Fires that create dense smoke, you could be subject to a citation if you burn materials that create dense smoke and cause a nuisance to your neighbors or impair visibility for drivers.
5. No Burning under hazardous conditions, when atmospheric conditions are unacceptable for burning as determined by the Department of Natural Resources (“DNR”) or the Fire Chief; or when the DNR issues an air-pollution or ozone advisory; or when the wind speeds exceed ten (10) miles per hours; or when extremely dry conditions are observed as may be determined by the Fire Chief.
6. Underage, No person under the age of sixteen (16) years is allowed to ignite any fire without the supervision of an adult twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/