Advertisements

**Updated 7:45 p.m.

A car vs. gas meter late Friday night caused flames to scorch the side of a home in the 700 block of Lathrop.

According to a press release from the Racine Fire Department, a pick-up truck backing up a driveway struck the meter on the north side of a neighboring home in the 700 block of Lathrop Avenue. Gas was leaking from the meter and then started on fire, sending flames up the side of the affected house.

The total damage is estimated at $5,000.

Racine police blocked off the street between Kinzie and Haven for a couple of hours while firefighters extinguished the flames and checked the interior of the home for potential danger.

Crews from WE Energies also responded, and officials from the water utility were also called to the scene.

There were no reported injuries.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/