Mount Pleasant police say a Case High School student stole an iPad from a classroom, and sold it through an online community rummage sale.

Anthony Ford, 18, of Racine, was charged Tuesday in Racine County Circuit Court with one misdemeanor count of theft – false representation and one misdemeanor count of theft; both as a repeater. If convicted, he faces up to 18 months in prison and/or up to $20,000 in fines. Because he is considered a repeat offender, a judge has the discretion to add extra time to any sentence they might give Ford.

According to the criminal complaint, the Case High School resource officer was called to a classroom Feb. 27 for a report of a stolen iPad. The teacher told police they thought the iPad had been stolen on Feb. 25 during an 8th hour class, and the iPad was affixed with a sticker and a catalog number. Students reported to the teacher that it appeared the iPad was sold through an online community rummage sale on Facebook.

Officers say they located the person who bought the iPad, and they suspected the tablet was stolen because when they tried to reset it, the iPad asked for a password. When the buyer tried to contact the seller, that person’s account was no longer available. Since police were familiar with the name of the seller – also a Case High School student – they contacted the seller at school.

It was determined that Ford was in the class from where the iPad was stolen and had hacked the other student’s account to sell the tablet, the complaint reads. The buyers could not positively identify Ford in a photo lineup, but they described him to police and said they met Ford in the 1700 block of Racine Street to complete the transaction. School records confirmed that Ford lives in the vicinity of where the iPad purchase took place.

Police say the buyers did eventually ID Ford in a photo lineup. Officers then arranged to meet Ford in their office at Case, but when he walked away to throw away some chewing gum, he flipped up his hood and walked out of school.

Ford was assigned a $500 signature bond and GPS monitoring but was still in custody Tuesday evening. He will next be in court June 11 for a pre-trial conference.