… we have a small favor to ask. Thousands of people have placed their trust in the Racine County Eye’s high-impact journalism because we focus on solutions-based journalism.
With no shareholders or billionaire owners, we can provide trustworthy journalism that focuses on helping readers.
Unlike many others, Racine County Eye’s journalism is available for everyone to read, regardless of what they can afford to pay. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of events, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action.
If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Racine County Eye from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.
Housing Resources, Inc. will administer CARES Act funding from the City of Racine to provide mortgage assistance to eligible homeowners who are facing mortgage delinquency or foreclosure due to financial hardships as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The purpose of the City of Racine Mortgage Assistance Program is to aid in foreclosure prevention by providing emergency assistance in the form of a grant on behalf of City of Racine homeowners who are delinquent in their mortgage payments due to job loss or reduced work hours and wages as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Eligibility for Assistance:
- A property must be all of the following:
- An owner-occupied dwelling consisting of one to four separate units; and
- Secured by a mortgage; and
- Located in the City of Racine.
- Assistance may be provided on behalf of a homeowner when the following eligibility criteria have been demonstrated:
- The homeowner(s) must have experienced a loss of income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic after March 1, 2020 and be able to document the income loss.
- The homeowner(s) must have an annualized current household income of no more than 80% of the Area Median Income as defined in guidelines published by the United State Department of Housing and Urban Development. Household Size 1: $43,050 Household Size 2: $49,200 Household Size 3: $55,350 Household Size 4: $61,500 Household Size 5: $66,450 Household Size 6: $71,350 Household Size 7: $76,300 Household Size 8: $81,200
- The homeowner(s) applicant must hold legal title to the property for which they are requesting assistance.
- Mortgage payments for which assistance is requested must be at least 30 days delinquent at the time of application and starting after March 1, 2020.
- The mortgage(s) for which assistance is requested must be a first or second mortgage on the property.
Depending on eligibility and date of income interruption due to COVID-19, direct one-time assistance on behalf of the homeowner(s) may be provided for up to six (6) months. Missed mortgage payments starting March 1, 2020, will be reviewed to the date of application. Additional payments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
The pre-application consists of 5 questions and will let us know quickly if you qualify to complete a full application. Once the pre-application is approved by HRI, homeowners will be invited to complete a full application.
Applicants will be able to apply and upload completed documentation through a web-based application link at https://www.hri-wi.org/mortgage-assistance. All owners of the property for which assistance is sought must complete and execute the application; however, a homeowner may be eligible if the co-owner is absent, unable, or unwilling to complete the application. The full application must be complete, and all required documents attached prior to submission. All documentation submitted is kept strictly confidential. Applications will be accepted through June 18, 2021. Submitting an application does NOT guarantee funding.
The following must be included with the submitted application.
- Photocopy or photo of driver’s license or state-issued ID
- Most recent mortgage statement (no more than 30 days old) that includes address & phone number of mortgage company
- Documentation of financial hardship due to COVID-19 (termination notice, lay-off notice, a letter indicating place of employment closing, etc.)
- Income and Housing Attestation
- HRI Authorization form
- Benefit Duplication
- Forbearance disclosure (if applicable)
Application Review Process
The agency will only review complete applications to determine fulfillment of the eligibility criteria.
The following restrictions apply to the City of Racine Mortgage Assistance program:
- Assistance is available for owner-occupant homeowners in the City of Racine
- Mixed-use buildings (commercial/residential) and owner-occupied rental properties (more than 4 units) are ineligible.
- Funding is based on availability. Completed applications will be reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Payments will be made directly to the mortgage company to be credited to the account indicated on the mortgage statement and in the application. Payments will not be made to the applicant.
- Assistance is not available to applicants who receive Section 8 or other federal assistance in paying their mortgage payment.