… we have a small favor to ask. Thousands of people have placed their trust in the Racine County Eye’s high-impact journalism because we focus on solutions-based journalism.

With no shareholders or billionaire owners, we can provide trustworthy journalism that focuses on helping readers.

Unlike many others, Racine County Eye’s journalism is available for everyone to read, regardless of what they can afford to pay. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of events, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action.

If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Racine County Eye from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.


Your contribution is appreciated.


While Racine Unified officials don’t yet know the cost of the fire that destroyed the Mitchell School gym or how long clean-up will take in the most heavily damaged areas, they detailed for Racine County Eye the effects of the blaze.

The southwest portion of the buildng suffered the most significant damage; totaling the multi-purpose room and, potentially, the kitchen area as well. A hallway on the second floor “is severely damaged, but salvageable,” RUSD spokesperson Stacy Tapp wrote in an email.

In the elementary school specifically, 25 classrooms – and the office – have water damage. The library and another 11 classrooms split almost evenly between the first and second floors, have serious smoke and water damage.

“There is water damage throughout all levels of the elementary school, with the most significant being in the first floor and basement areas,” Tapp added.

The status of murals created in the 1930s that may have been stored in the basement is unknown.

In the middle school, a hallway on the west side of the building was severely damaged by smoke, but classrooms are relatively unscathed because doors were closed. There is also water damage on the first floor affecting another 16 classrooms.

The auditorium and cafeteria on the northeast side of the facility are mostly unaffected but there is soot to clean up and deodorizing to be done.

“The is soot throughout all areas of the building to varying degrees, (and) all of this will need to be cleaned,” Tapp continued.

Elementary students are being relocated to Wind Point for the rest of the school year. Middle school students are expected to resume class on March 18, after spring break.

Several school supply drives are taking place to help elementary teachers and students gear up to finish the rest of the school year. Click here for a list of needed items and where donations can be dropped off.

Advertising disclosure
To support our site and content, we work with partners to present valuable offers to help you save, earn, and get ahead. We may be compensated for the purchase of goods and services made through the links in this offer program.
Offers for you
Curated offers for our readers
advertiser disclosure
Coding for kids! Introducing programming games for the next generation. Get your kids coding today.
Start with a free trial.
Start with a free trial.

Get your students coding in no time!

CodeMonkey is a fun and educational game-based environment where kids learn to code without any prior experience. After completing CodeMonkey's award-winning coding courses, kids will be able to navigate through the programming world with a sense of confidence and accomplishment.

Kids will love learning to code with CodeMonkey

  • Ready to Go Courses. With CodeMonkey’s teacher kit and support team, anyone can teach the basics of computer science.
  • Real Coding Languages. CodeMonkey's courses teach text-based coding so students learn to program like a real developer.
  • Game-Based Learning. Kids learn coding in an engaging and rewarding environment that utilizes gaming elements.

Free Trial - Enjoy a full-blown gaming experience that will teach your kids to code!

One reply on “Damage Details from Mitchell School Fire”