… we have a small favor to ask. Thousands of people have placed their trust in the Racine County Eye’s high-impact journalism because we focus on solutions-based journalism.
With no shareholders or billionaire owners, we can provide trustworthy journalism that focuses on helping readers.
Unlike many others, Racine County Eye’s journalism is available for everyone to read, regardless of what they can afford to pay. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of events, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action.
If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Racine County Eye from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.
There are headstones standing at the northeast corner of the American Metal Technologies surrounded by a black, wrought iron fence.
Some long-time Sturtevant residents know the small graveyard is there, but other neighbors probably didn’t realize one of the village’s founding families is buried there.
Sturtevant was founded around 1854 by settlers Hezekia Johnson and Peter Knudson, but the new town wasn’t named after either one of them.
Instead, Parkersville took its name from Stillman Parker, a wealthy landowner who laid claim to at least 25 acres as well as several other plots in the area. He moved to Wisconsin with his first wife, Lucinda, and had 11 children with her. After Lucinda’s death, Stillman married Hannah Thom and had another 11 children with her.
It is Parker and members of his family who are buried there though it is unknown if Lucinda, Hannah or both wives are buried with their husband.
Sturtevant was called many things before village leaders decided to stick with its current name; Parkersville (1854), Western Union Junction (1877), Corliss (1890s), and, finally in 1923, Sturtevant for the B.F. Sturtevant company.