… we have a small favor to ask. Thousands of people have placed their trust in the Racine County Eye’s high-impact journalism because we focus on solutions-based journalism.

With no shareholders or billionaire owners, we can provide trustworthy journalism that focuses on helping readers.

Unlike many others, Racine County Eye’s journalism is available for everyone to read, regardless of what they can afford to pay. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of events, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action.

If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Racine County Eye from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

The state Department of Transportation is installing rumble strips to help reduce accidents the stretch of Highway 38 between Highway K and the Racine-Milwaukee county line.

Work begins Tuesday, and how fast it goes depends on the weather. One lane of traffic will be open in each direction during construction.

Rumble strips are typically milled directly into the road, and the Highway 38 strips will go along the centerline and shoulders of the 8-mile stretch to help drivers avoid becoming another accident statistic. Essentially, they are ribbed lengths of pavement to help alert motorists when they’ve veered outside their travel lane.

According to an information flyer from the DOT, 48 crashes were recorded between 2009 and 2015, and all of them involved either head-on or side swipe collisions or running off the road. Nearly half – 40 percent – of these accidents resulted in injuries of some kind.

Rumble strips have been shown to be an effective deterrent for accidents; the DOT says the strips can reduce injury crashes by 29 percent and save local taxpayers big money by reducing the need for emergency services which often results in overtime over runs come budget time.

The cost of the project is $320,000; 90 percent of which will be paid by the Federal Highway Safety Improvement Program. The remaining 10 percent will be picked up the state, a story in The Journal Times reads.

[empowerlocal_campaign_offers region_id="22" subcampaign_id="8"]