Portions of Highway 32 (Douglas Avenue) from Gould to State street are under construction until late November, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
This will make getting downtown a little dicey for those who normally use this route. To make it easier to navigate, we’ll be updating this page over the next several months.
Here’s what to expect:
- During construction, Douglas Avenue will be limited to southbound traffic only. Northbound traffic will be detoured around construction via Main Street and Goold Street – or – via WIS 38 and Memorial Drive. Southbound traffic will stay on Douglas Avenue and be detoured down to State Street.
- The 0.2-mile east/west segment of Hamilton Street will be closed between Douglas Avenue and Main Street.
- Construction activities will be completed in four stages.
- Bus routes will be detoured.
- Reconstruct approximately one mile of Douglas Avenue (WIS 32) from Goold Street to Hamilton Street
- Reconstruct approximately 0.2 miles of Hamilton Street (WIS 32) from Douglas Avenue to Main Street.
- New sidewalks
- Updated bicycle and pedestrian accommodations
Douglas Avenue Businesses open for business
A number of area businesses are also offering special deals to customers. So check back often.
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/