Downed power lines Tuesday triggered a chain reaction of sorts from the garage to the home of a north side family, causing $30,000 in damage.

Racine fire Capt. Mark Villalpando in a press release said firefighters responded at 1:14 p.m. to a home in the 3400 block of Erie Street for a report of a fire.

When crews arrived, they found numerous fire spots in the walls of the home that started when live power lines fell across the roof of the family’s garage and affected the electric system. Because the garage shares electricity with the house, a fire started in the wall of the kitchen. Firefighters located and extinguished many fire spots in the walls.

Racine Fire Bells helped on scene with cooling measures and by delivering water to firefighters because of the extreme heat.

We Energies was called to the home to address the downed power lines and restoring power to the neighborhood.

Family members are helping the residents with alternative living arrangements.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/