RACINE – One person was injured in a fire caused by a dropped incense stick Wednesday morning at a residence located at 3224 17th Street.

The incident took place at 10:05 a.m. on the second floor, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

The occupant, Tom Schaefer, admitted to dropping a burning incense stick in the second-floor bedroom. After failing to extinguish the fire, Schaefer called the police. Fire crews contained the fire to the second-floor bedroom, but one person was treated for burn injuries.

The fire displaced two families totaling seven people and a dog. The estimated loss in damages is $60,000. The Red Cross assisted those who were without a place to stay for the night.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/