A southside family was not injured and can continue living in their home after a small basement fire was discovered Thursday afternoon after a power outage.

Racine Fire Department Capt. Mark Villalpando said in a written release that a resident of a home in the 1400 block of Thurston at 4:43 p.m. called 9-1-1 to report a fire in the basement.

The caller noticed the home was without power, so they went into the basement to check on the electric panel. When they went to investigate, the smoke alarm started sounding. The family went outside and called 9-1-1.

There were no injuries, and damages are estimated at $1,000.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/