Photo by Nikki Folgers-Lindstrom

 

The Racine Fire Department also put out a car fire that happened in the parking lot at Save A Lot, 1500 State St., Saturday morning.

Jeff Perkins, division chief for the Racine Fire Department, said the car owner had plugged his computer into a cigarette adapter to charge it when he heard popping and cracking noises. He stopped in the parking lot to see if it had a blown fuse. When he replaced the fuse, he plugged the computer back into the cigarette lighter charger, but then hear the noise again.

When he saw the smoke and fire, the car owner tried to put it out with water and flour, but it wouldn’t extinguish and he asked a bystander to call 911.

“When firefighters got there, they found the car fully engulfed in flames,” Perkins said.

No one was injured, but the car sustained significant damaged.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.