No one was injured in an early morning fire at a residence in the 1300 block of Johnson Avenue, according to Battalion Chief Jeff Henningfeld, of the Caledonia Fire Department.

Caledonia Police and Fire personnel responded to a report of a mattress on fire at 2:44 a.m. Tuesday, July 1 in the front bedroom of the home. Smoke and flames were showing, but the fire was contained inside the home at the time of the call.

“One of the residents in the house put out a majority of the fire before we got there,” Henningfeld said. “Everyone was out of the house and accounted for.”

When fire personnel arrived on scene the mattress was just smoldering.

While the fire investigation hasn’t been completed, the source of the fire is suspected of coming from an electrical source, Henningfeld said.

No damage or loss estimates are available at this time.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.