Nine students from Racine Unified middle and high schools were recognized for their creativity and imaginations with Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, a program associated with the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers.
One student earned a national award, one of only eight awarded across the state. Awards are categorized as Gold Key (Outstanding Merit), a Silver Key (Strong Merit) or an Honorable Mention (Potential).
According to RUSD, the scholastic writing awards program “is the longest running, most prestigious art and writing competition for young teens in grades 7-12.”
To be considered, students send their entries into a regional hub where they are judged by experts in their field. More than 300,000 entries were received at the regional level. Here is how Racine Unified students did:
Starbuck Middle School:
- Makensie Grube: Gold Key in Science Fiction/Fantasy and a Silver Key in Flash Fiction.
Park High School:
- Destiny Turner: Gold Key in Poetry, Silver Keys in Poetry and Senior Writing Portfolio, and Honorable Mention in Poetry.
- Roselena Huizar: Honorable Mention for her work in Art Metals.
- Arizvedy Garcia-Martinez: Two Honorable Mentions for her work in Art Metals.
Case High School:
- Willow Ahnen: Silver Key in Short Story.
- John Mosson: Silver Keys in Short Story and Poetry.
- Isabelle Naeve: Honorable Mention in Poetry.
- Timothy Underwood: Gold Keys in Senior Writing Portfolio and Poetry, a Silver Key in Humor and Honorable Mention in Personal Essay/Memoir.
- Gina Bellovary: Gold Keys in Poetry and Personal Essay/Memoir, Silver Keys in Poetry and Senior Writing Portfolio, and Honorable Mention in Poetry and Personal Essay/Memoir. Gina also earned a National Silver Medal for Poetry. She will travel in June to New York City for the national awards celebration at Carnegie Hall.
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/