Racine County Eye has expanded its coverage over the past six months. You have come to count on us for stories about our coverage of COVID-19, the elections, social justice issues, business spotlights, hometown heroes, and real estate.

We spend hours making sure you have the highest and best information. If this is important to you, please subscribe today.

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

RACINE, WI – One person was injured in a house fire that happened at 10:47 p.m. Thursday at 2060 Deane Blvd.

A woman was treated at the scene, but she refused care, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

The fire broke out just before 11 p.m. When fire and rescue personnel responded to the scene, they found a family of four — three adults and a 12-year-old girl — had already evacuated the home. Firefighters rescued the family’s dog.

Crews battled a heavy fire on the second floor that had entered the walls and the attic. It took them about a half-hour to stop the fire.

Firefighters determined that the cause of the accidental fire was a misuse of a cigarette lighter.

We Energies crews secured the gas and electric service. Officials with the American Red Cross of Wisconsin assisted the displaced family. The estimated loss is $85,000.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.