Journalism. We believe it should help you live a better life.

That’s why we spend a lot less time on publishing mug shots and a lot more time helping you understand the employment market, figure out how to spend more time with friends and family with our events calendar, and what you can do to help businesses that have opened up. Make no mistake…we aren’t shy. We tackle the big stuff, like COVID and issues around race.

And if you believe in the value of journalism — that it should help, not exploit — please consider becoming a paid member of the Racine County Eye today. We can’t do this work without you.

A Racine family has been displaced following a fire that happened at about 7:17 p.m. Sunday night at a residence at 310 Blaine Ave.

The family of four plus their two dogs escaped and were not injured.

Lt. Mike Moss, of the Racine Fire Department, said the fire was contained to the kitchen. The damage could have been much worse if it weren’t for the quick action of a neighbor, who noticed smoke coming out of the roof.

“The neighbor asked them if they were having a fire, but the house has no fireplace,” Moss said.

Seeing the heavy smoke, Eric Carroll, the homeowner, his wife Theresa, their daughter Emma and their son Aiden, and their two dogs evacuated the home. Theresa called 911. The fire started in the kitchen area and was caused by an electrical problem. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the kitchen. Half of the kitchen ceiling is down and there is heavy water damage.

 The family is staying with relatives.

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.