A family displaced by a fire in their 9th Avenue home is safe with friends.

The Racine Fire Department responded at 3:35 p.m. Monday to a report of a fire in the 3300 block of 9th Avenue. When crews arrived they found fire in both the kitchen and the living room.

The cause of the fire was a child who turned on the stove and left it unattended. Materials on the stove caught fire, and the flames spread throughout the kitchen and the living room. Combined with water and smoke damage, the home was determined to be uninhabitable.

No one was injured in the blaze – including firefighters – and the family pet also got out of the home safely.

Total damage is estimated at about $30,000; $20,000 to the structure and another $10,000 to contents.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/