No one was injured in a fire that happened Sunday afternoon at a residence at 512 Park View Drive, but the blaze caused thousands of dollars in damage.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an improper disposal of cigarettes, which originated in the upper flat of the home, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

Kevin Thurman, who rents the house, had put out a cigarette in an ashtray, then dumped the ashes into a wastebasket just before leaving his house. After returning, he saw that the upper flat was on fire. Thurman called 911 and tried to put the fire out with water, but the heavy smoke made it hard to breathe and he had to leave the residence.

The estimated damage to the home is $10,000.

Officials with the Racine Fire Department want to remind residents that it is important to dispose of smoking material properly.

“Please do not place them in any trash can in the house and don’t leave them in any trash can outside the house especially if the can is next to your house, car or garage,” the press release reads.

 

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.