… we have a small favor to ask. Thousands of people have placed their trust in the Racine County Eye’s high-impact journalism because we focus on solutions-based journalism.

With no shareholders or billionaire owners, we can provide trustworthy journalism that focuses on helping readers.

Unlike many others, Racine County Eye’s journalism is available for everyone to read, regardless of what they can afford to pay. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of events, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action.

If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Racine County Eye from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

RACINE – A family of five people were displaced by a fire in a Downtown Racine apartment building Friday evening. No one was injured.

The Racine Fire Department (RFD) was called to an apartment building at 400 Seventh Street about 7:40 p.m. Friday. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire in one of the apartment units.

An investigation showed that the fire started in one of the apartment bedrooms when an occupant connected a window air conditioning unit power cord into a power strip that malfunctioned. The American Red Cross assisted the family who were displaced by the fire.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 damage to the building and $500 to contents. The RFD Fire Prevention Bureau urges everyone to always follow manufacturer instructions when using power strips and extension cords.

[empowerlocal_campaign_offers region_id="22" subcampaign_id="8"]


Paul Holley is retired from careers in journalism, public relations and marketing but not from life. These days, he pretty much writes about what he feels like writing. You may contact him directly at:...