No one was injured in a garage fire that happened Tuesday afternoon at 1236 Center Street. But a family was displaced because the electricity had to be shut off to their home.

The blaze started in the garage at the residence, which is owned by Andre Thomas, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they found that the fire was fully involved. The garage had a car, two motorcycles and other equipment inside. The fire spread to a neighboring home at 1230 Center Street and burned the roof before being put out.

Even though no one was injured and there wasn’t any damage to the home, the two adults and two children living in the house were displaced because the electricity had to be shut off. The American Red Cross is helping the family find temporary housing.

 

The blaze is still under investigation. The estimated loss is $40,000 to the structure of the garage, and $25,000 for the contents.

Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.