… we have a small favor to ask. Thousands of people have placed their trust in the Racine County Eye’s high-impact journalism because we focus on solutions-based journalism.

With no shareholders or billionaire owners, we can provide trustworthy journalism that focuses on helping readers.

Unlike many others, Racine County Eye’s journalism is available for everyone to read, regardless of what they can afford to pay. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of events, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action.

If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Racine County Eye from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

RACINE – One person was hospitalized after a house fire started by someone burning alcohol in the 300-block of Luedke Avenue Saturday morning, authorities said.

An occupant of the house told police she was warming alcohol in a pan to melt ice on her car when it ignited, according to a press release issued by the Racine Fire Department. She told police she tried to take the burning contents of the pan out of the house but tripped, spilling burning alcohol on an area rug in the kitchen and on the floors of the living and dining rooms.

On arrival, firefighters found residents outside extinguishing burning possessions from inside the house. The fire inside the house had been extinguished, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

Emergency medical responders transported one injured person to Ascension-All Saints Hospital for treatment.

Heating up alcohol on a stove is dangerous, and doesn’t help thaw out a frozen vehicle, authorities said.

Officials also warned that a hydrant near the house was inaccessible in the event of a larger fire and asked city residents to clear snow for three feet in each direction from hydrants in the city.

Three fire engines, a truck, an ambulance and a quint – a type of smaller fire-fighting vehicle – were initially dispatched to work on putting out the fire on Luedke Avenue. But the response was downgraded after officials discovered the fire inside the house had been extinguished, according to the release.

Racine police also helped with traffic control during the incident, according to the release.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 damage.

Support local journalism, unlock deals from our advertising partners

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

City Holding Off On COVID Booster Shots

RACINE – The City of Racine Public Health Department announced Friday that is opting to hold off on offering COVID-19 booster shots until it receives guidance from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS). That information is expected in the upcoming weeks. Earlier this week, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the use […]

Carthage College Welcomes Largest Incoming Class

Incoming students at Carthage College have set a new record as the largest incoming class. The class of 2021 was able to participate in their orientation in person. The orientation schedule filled the three day Labor Day weekend. After moving into the residence halls, students gathered with their families for two community welcome sessions on Sept. 4 […]

Former Franklin School Bricks For Sale

Racine Unified School District is selling bricks from Franklin School. Community members are welcome to purchase a piece of Racine’s history. The school was built in the 19th-century using cream city bricks in 1870. Franklin School was remodeled in 1899 and later expanded in 1921. Most recently, this building housed Walden III middle and high […]

[empowerlocal_campaign_offers region_id="22" subcampaign_id="8"]