… we have a small favor to ask. Thousands of people have placed their trust in the Racine County Eye’s high-impact journalism because we focus on solutions-based journalism.
With no shareholders or billionaire owners, we can provide trustworthy journalism that focuses on helping readers.
Unlike many others, Racine County Eye’s journalism is available for everyone to read, regardless of what they can afford to pay. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of events, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action.
If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Racine County Eye from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.
A stove accidentally turned on and left unattended caused a fire early Tuesday evening at an apartment building in the 4000 block of Erie Street.
Crews from the Racine Fire Department responded around 5:20 p.m. and discovered the fire. Damage was estimated at about $37,000 and contained to the single unit, a press release from RFD reads.
No one was injured.
The man living in the affected apartment reportedly bumped into the stove, accidentally turning on a burner. A cordless drill on top of the stove started on fire.
Scanner chatter Wednesday indicated Racine police shut down area streets and evacuated the building. A city bus was called to keep residents warm, and the Red Cross was notified.
One resident said they didn’t know where the fire originated, just that they heard the alarms.