… we have a small favor to ask. Thousands of people have placed their trust in the Racine County Eye’s high-impact journalism because we focus on solutions-based journalism.
With no shareholders or billionaire owners, we can provide trustworthy journalism that focuses on helping readers.
Unlike many others, Racine County Eye’s journalism is available for everyone to read, regardless of what they can afford to pay. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of events, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action.
If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Racine County Eye from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.
RACINE, WI – A family home caught fire Thursday from a gas stove burner, killing two of the family’s three dogs.
The four family members, two adults and two children, were not home and firefighters rescued one of their three dogs from the building.
Firefighters responded at 2:21 p.m. Oct. 3 to 1823 Mars Avenue for a report of smoke coming from the home’s roof. Personnel on Engine 2 declared a working fire upon arrival. Damage to the residence is estimated to be $75,000.
According to the Racine Fire Department, Engine 2’s crew forced entry to the residence and located a fire coming from the kitchen.
Crew members searched the home and found a black lab, giving him emergency oxygen. The dog was later transported to WVRC Emergency & Specialty Pet Care, 333 Old Green Bay Rd, to be treated for his injuries.
Two other dogs, another black lab and a Siberian husky, were located by crew members, though they were unable to be revived the dogs and they died on the scene.
The Racine Police and Fire Departments, WE Energies and the American Red Cross are intervening in the crisis. Family members whose home was affected are safe and receiving Red Cross aid.