This is the second year GGR has sponsored AmeriCorps workers in Racine for the two months of May and June. Kayla Urbanowski is the leader of the ‘Cedar 2’ team of 8 volunteers from around the country.
Feel free to stop by and thank them for their work on environmental projects for our community, as they leave on June 25.
Here is a list of the projects they completed, coordinated by Ben Lehner and Dave Rhoads:
- Racine Urban Forestry Program: Plant 400 trees. Urban Forester Matthew Koepnick
- Root Pike Watershed Initiative: Clearing invasives at Smolenski Park. Dave Giordano and Roger Chernik
- Racine Health Department. Clearing and planting at Sam Myers Park. Julie Kinzelman
- Riverbend Nature Center. Clearing invasives and pathways. Melissa Warner
- Uptown BID. Clearing greenspace and trail-making. Devon Sutherland and Linea Anthony
- Racine Revitalization Project. Painted two houses. Ed Miller
- Caledonia Conservancy. Clearing trails. Wendy McCalvy
- YMCA. Assistance with Lighthouse Run. Nette Marks and Jeff Collen
- Extra days: Racine Urban Garden Network and Weed Out! Racine.
A special thank you to the supervisors and all who helped to make this another successful year.
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. Members commit their time to address critical community needs like increasing academic achievement, mentoring youth, fighting poverty, sustaining national parks, preparing for disasters, and more.