Huffing, or inhaling chemical vapors, has led to several deaths over the last few years, according to a story by the Racine Journal Times.
Chippewa County officials now say it has claimed a few more victims. However, it wasn’t the huffer themselves that died, it was an accident caused by the person who was huffing.
Colten Treu, swerved on the road as a result from huffing and killed three Girl Scouts and a mother in Chippewa County on Nov. 3. The Girl Scouts and the mother were picking up trash as a part of a service project.
The case serves as a reminder that parents need to talk with their children about why they should not huff chemical vapors.
According to Racine County Medical Examiner Michael Payne, there have been two documented deaths over the last few years as a result of huffing.
“We have seen some young people who are experimenting. Is it an epidemic? No. But if parents are not talking to their kids and we are not making it known that this is deadly … you can lose your life,” said Sheriff Christopher Schmaling about huffing.
Huffing is a very dangerous activity and can lead to unconsciousness, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Families can watch for signs of huffing such as chemical odors, chemical-soaked rags, stains on face, nausea or loss of appetite.
Editor’s note: This version of the story corrected a previous version in stating that the huffing crash in Chippewa County came from county officials there. Racine County Eye apologizes for the error.
Employers: List your jobs locally or nationally on the Racine County Eye jobs board.
Or if you are looking for events and deals, check out our new feature called The Buzz.
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/