As newspapers around the country furlough their employees hours, that means less journalism at a time when staying connected at the local level is important.
Racine County Eye remains committed to covering what matters to you, your family and your business. Now is not the time to be left in the dark about local information.
If you are able, Racine County Eye needs your financial support today to keep us focused on the things that matter. Click here to support our coverage. We appreciate every one of our readers and we’re grateful to earn your trust every day.
Owner of the Racine County Eye
The 2019 Kiwanis holiday ornament, now on sale throughout the area, features Wells Brothers – a local restaurant famous for pizza since 1921.
Ornament sale proceeds go toward the Kiwanis Holiday Lights display that can be viewed along North Main Street at the Racine Zoo each evening from late November through Dec. 31.
The Kiwanis Holiday Lights is a community activity of the area’s Kiwanis Clubs – The Kiwanis Club of West Racine and the Kiwanis Club of Racine. Volunteers maintain, set up and take down the elaborate display that stretches for several blocks.
The Holiday Lights tradition is funded by donations and the sale of a custom designed ornament that features local icons. Among the previous ornament designs, since 1999, are Kringle, the Wind Point Lighthouse, North Beach and Frank Lloyd Wright-designed architecture. Last year’s ornament design – the Kewpee Sandwich Shop – sold out quickly, so don’t delay.
The Kiwanis ornament may be purchased ($10, cash please) at these locations:
* Castlewood Restaurant, 2811 Wisconsin St., Sturtevant
* Catrine’s Barber Shop, 1658 N. Main St.
* Dover Flag & Map, 323 Main St.
* Lee’s True Value Hardware, 1950 Taylor Ave.
* Lighthouse Gallery & Gifts, 306 Main St.
* Racine Heritage Museum, 701 Main St.
* Real Racine Visitor Center, 14015 Washington Ave. (Hwy. 20), Yorkville
* Sew ‘n Save, 3701 Durand Ave.
* Victory Lane Car Wash, 5310 Washington Ave., Mount Pleasant
* Wells Brothers Restaurant, 2148 Mead St., Mount Pleasant
Limited quantities of past years’ ornaments (including the 2018 design) are also available. For more information, contact Ollie Nielsen at 262-498-3459.