… we have a small favor to ask. Thousands of people have placed their trust in the Racine County Eye’s high-impact journalism because we focus on solutions-based journalism.

With no shareholders or billionaire owners, we can provide trustworthy journalism that focuses on helping readers.

Unlike many others, Racine County Eye’s journalism is available for everyone to read, regardless of what they can afford to pay. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of events, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action.

If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Racine County Eye from as little as $5 – it only takes a minute. Thank you.

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

A late night fire in a Sturtevant apartment destroyed the unit and displaced two adult brothers, but didn’t result in any injuries to residents or first responders.

South Shore Fire crews were called at 9:48 p.m. to an apartment building in the 3500 block of 93rd Street for a report of a fire. When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming from the second floor of the eight-unit building and began a search for the origin of the smoke.

Initiating an interior attack confined the fire to one unit in the southwest corner of the second floor, and flames were visible from windows, a press release from South Shore Battalion Chief Steve Salvo.

After 20 minutes of fighting the fire, the flames were knocked down, and the fire was declared under control 10 minutes later. The last South Shore truck left the scene at 12:26 a.m.

All residents of the building were outside before SSFD arrived, and firefighters searched for and reunited several cats with their owners.

Only the one unit was destroyed, and Salvo said damage is estimated at about $100,000.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental; an electrical cord draped over a baseboard heater is where investigators think the fire started.

Officers from Sturtevant and Mount Pleasant assisted with controlling the scene as well as Racine Fire Bells and WE Energies.

The American Red Cross is helping the occupants of the destroyed apartment.

[empowerlocal_campaign_offers region_id="22" subcampaign_id="8"]