As a lifelong resident of Mt. Pleasant, I have seen many changes in our village and had the opportunity to meet a variety of wonderful people along the way. My name is Don Schulz and I am running for Village Trustee in seat #2. You will have the first opportunity to vote for me in 2016 in the primary election on Tuesday, February 16th.
I would like to use this opportunity to share with you some information about myself, my experience as a previously elected official in Mt. Pleasant and my concerns and goals as a candidate in the spring election.
- I am 68 years old, married to the love of my life – Mary! Together we raised two beautiful daughters, and are the proud grandparents of four fantastic grandchildren.
- I am a graduate of Horlick High School and I was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1967. I served from 1967 to 1969 – with a tour of duty in Vietnam. After the Army I returned to our family farm in Mt. Pleasant on Hwy V.
Our family has been involved for more than 20 years with the town and village of Mt. Pleasant.
I was first elected to Village Supervisor #3 in 1993 and served 4 terms in office. In 2013, I was asked to serve the remainder of Trustee Harry Manning’s term after he passed away; which I accepted.
Over the years, I served on many village committees and commissions including the environmental committee, parks committee and technology committee. I was involved in the creation of the joint fire station with Caledonia and I have volunteered at both the recycling and compost centers.
These experiences have given me a great deal of perspective on the challenges our village faces and how to best navigate a prosperous future. If elected, I would immediately work to address the following issues:
- Revisit the six month severance package for village staff – a measure my opponent Rick McCluskey supported.
- Keep all Mt. Pleasant residents informed on measures that will directly impact them. Too many deals have been struck out of the public eye – and that’s not a good deal for taxpayers.
- Encourage and welcome public participation at village board meetings as well as during committee meetings.
- Recently, the Village Administrator and Fire Chief negotiated a 5 year contract on behalf of the village without board approval. I will seek to clearly define administrative powers and insure our Village Trustees are overseeing all decisions that impact residents.
- Village emergency response times must be addressed. My opponent Rick McCluskey has ignored this crucial issue even though he promised to address it more than two years ago. We must consider all the possibilities now.
- Review the firing of the Village Finance Director and begin in earnest a search for a replacement. The Village Finance Director position should be under Village Board authority to guarantee appropriate checks and balances residents deserve.
Election season is a time when candidates do a lot of talking and make many promises. My opponent, Rick McCluskey was one of those candidates. Two years later, it is apparent his talk never materialized into action.
I have the experience as well as a track record of commitment and action which Mt. Pleasant needs right now. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Primary Election: Tuesday, February 16th
General Election: Tuesday, April 5th
To contact Don Schulz please email him at: email@example.com or find him on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/Don-Schulz-Campaign-1710792609132429/
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/