Journalism. We believe it should help you live a better life.
That’s why we spend a lot less time on publishing mug shots and a lot more time helping you understand the employment market, figure out how to spend more time with friends and family with our events calendar, and what you can do to help businesses that have opened up. Make no mistake…we aren’t shy. We tackle the big stuff, like COVID and issues around race.
And if you believe in the value of journalism — that it should help, not exploit — please consider becoming a paid member of the Racine County Eye today. We can’t do this work without you.
Lighthouse Gallery and Gifts, 10351 Washington Ave., will call downtown Racine home in a few weeks.
Co-owners Linda Olsen, who owns the retail shop with her husband Scott Olsen, plan to sell artwork and gifts from 306 Main St., which used to be the home of JoJo’s Toys. The retailer has been at their Sturtevant site for four years. They decided to move to Racine because they felt the new location suits their customer base better.
The Olsens sell gifts, local art and crafts, lighthouse merchandise, personalized photo gifts, wedding invitations and accessories, personalized gifts for the wedding party, business cards and brochures, labels, ladies accessories, and home decorations. Scott has taken many of the photos featured on the personalized gifts and lighthouse merchandise.
“We’re pretty much going to do the same thing in this space as we did the other, but we think it’s going to evolve once we make the move downtown,” Linda said.
The move comes at a time when the owners have had to deal with a fire at their home last week.
A fire that started in the basement, which caused substantial damage to their Mount Pleasant home on Thursday. So as they are dealing with moving their business, they are living in a hotel until the insurance company can fix the damage. The insurance company told the couple it could be six to eight months until they can repair the damage.
“The community has been very nice to us as we’ve dealt with this setback,” Linda said.
The South Shore Fire Department has not determined the official cause of the fire, but they did have a dehumidifier running in the basement that was on a recall list.
“All I’ll say is that if you have a dehumidifier, check to see if it’s on that recall list,” Linda said.
For now the couple is focused on the move. They are excited about connecting with local artists and the art community downtown. It’s difficult living in a hotel, but they are searching for an apartment to live in while the insurance company repairs the damage.
The store is set to open by the end of the month.