A northside family was displaced Saturday after lightning struck their home during a thunderstorm and caused a fire in the attic.

Racine firefighters were called to the 2200 block of Shoop Avenue for a report of a fire. The family of five was at home when they heard a loud, “boom” and then smelled smoke. They exited their home and called 9-1-1.

Fire crews had the blaze under control and extinguished within 20 minutes of arrival on scene.

Estimated damages come to around $15,000.

The home is uninhabitable, and the American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Love what we do?

In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/