Longtime local music maven Dan Pavelich has joined us at Racine County Eye. Look for Dan’s weekly CD and LP reviews, Quick Spins, as well as news about local musicians, gigs, and recordings of interest.
Mint (Mom+Pop) $15.99
Alice Merton wins me over with Mint. Reminiscent of late 70’s artists who blended rock, new wave and anything else that pleased. Her sound is decidedly simple and fresh. Her pleading vocals are buoyed by tight bass guitar and drums, which lock into a sound that is all together urgent and beckoning.
In a perfect world, the punky songs Learn To Live and No Roots would be massive hit singles. They, along with the rest of this disc, have been on replay for the last hour, here in my office. These songs will get in your head in the best possible way. Highly recommended.
John Lennon 75th Birthday Concert
To celebrate what would have been John Lennon’s 75th birthday in 2015, Sheryl Crow and an all-star line-up converged on Madison Square Garden. Crow’s run-throughs of “Don’t Let Me Down” and ”A Hard Day’s Night” are the standouts, most of the rest seem to fall flat.
Train’s Pat Monahan turns in a lazy “Jealous Guy,” and Kris Kristofferson struggles to find the key of “Working Class Hero.” Though most of these artists were probably inspired by Lennon, they hardly did his songs proud.
February 1 Releases
- Backstreet Boys/DNA (RCA)
- Various Artists/2019 Grammy Nominees (Republic)
- Rival Sons/Feral Roots (Atlantic)
- Santana/In Search Of Mona Lisa (Concord)
- Steve Hackett/At The Edge Of Light (Inside Out)
- Kiss/KISSWORLD – Best Of Kiss (Mercury)
- Heart/Live In Atlantic City (EARMUSIC)
- Evergrey/The Atlantic (AFM)
- The Dandy Warhols/Why You So Crazy? (DINE ALONE)
- Bruce Springsteen/Springsteen On Broadway (Columbia)
- Eagles Of Death Metal/Death By Sexy (Downtown)
Sponsored by CD DVD Game Warehouse
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/