There are over 200 kids in Racine and Kenosha that are waiting for beds. Sleep in Heavenly Peace, a local nonprofit that gives to children in need, is asking for help to change that. They have already provided 290 beds since they began in June of 2018.
According to studies, loss of sleep in children can result in obesity, depression, reduced immunity, and adversely impacts a child’s ability to learn. Sleep in Heavenly Peace, a national non-profit, looks to curb bedlessness by building beds and
delivering them free of charge. The beds come complete with mattresses, a pillow, linens, and a comforter. It costs about $175 to build and equip a bed.
The Racine/Kenosha Chapter’s goal is to get the 202 kids on their waiting list into bed by Christmas Eve. In order to do that, they need to raise approximately $35,000, have 4 – 50 bed build days , and have 25 4-person delivery crews with a truck delivering 8 beds each.
- October 19th from 9 a.m to 2 p.m.
- A men-only build sponsored by Man Up, a program of Great Lakes Church. The signup for their event is at https://glc.churchcenter.com/groups/groups/man-up
- November 2nd from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- An Open House for people to see what a build entails. All of our stations will be set up that day in order to illustrate what happens in a build. You can visit with volunteers to find out what volunteering for this program is like. We will be serving light refreshments.
- November 16th from 9 a.m to 1 p.m.
- A tentative public build (based on our ability to raise the necessary funds) open to all volunteers.
To donate, visit our website (https://www.shpbeds.org/chapter/wi-racine-kenosha) and click on the “Donate Here” button, or mail a check to PO Box 81614, Racine, Wisconsin 53408.
You can also visit the website to:
- Sponsor a build with your church or company (click on the “Email Us” button)
- Arrange to deliver beds with your team (click on the “Email Us” button)
- Donate bedding click on the “Email Us” button on our website (click on the Email Us button)
- Request a bed, (click on the “Request a Bed” button)
- Help them meet their goal of “No Kid Sleeps on the Floor in Our Town”
For more information, contact Mike Prudhom, Chapter President, at WI-Racine-Kenosha@shpbeds.org or by phone at 844.432.2337 x 5521.
Love what we do?
In addition to our education features, we’ll be kicking off a series of stories highlighting how parents, students, and educators are adapting to the impact of COVID-19 on education. If this is important to you, please consider donating to our education reporting fund. https://business.facebook.com/donate/1846323118855149/3262802717172659/