Journalism. We believe it should help you live a better life.

That’s why we spend a lot less time on publishing mug shots and a lot more time helping you understand the employment market, figure out how to spend more time with friends and family with our events calendar, and what you can do to help businesses that have opened up. Make no mistake…we aren’t shy. We tackle the big stuff, like COVID and issues around race.

And if you believe in the value of journalism — that it should help, not exploit — please consider becoming a paid member of the Racine County Eye today. We can’t do this work without you.

Mount Pleasant police say a 50-year-old man is facing his sixth drunk driving charge after fleeing police over the weekend.

Robert Verwey, of Mount Pleasant, was charged Monday in Racine County Circuit Court with one felony count each of operating while intoxicated – sixth offense and fleeing a police officer as well as one misdemeanor count of obstruction. If convicted, he faces up to 10-1/3 years in prison and/or up to $30,000 in fines.

According to the criminal complaint, officers at 6:35 p.m. Saturday were traveling south on Willow Road when they observed a truck driving north at a speed greater than the posted 35 miles per hour. Police turned around and attempted to initiate a traffic stop, but the driver – later identified as Verwey – sped up even faster finally coming to a stop in front of a barn near Pudgy’s Pub on the Frontage Road.

Police say Verwey and a male passenger jumped out of the vehicle while the truck was running. They went into the wooded area, and officers were able to pursue by following the crushed grass. Officers repeatedly called to Verwey and his passenger to come out, and eventually Verwey did. The passenger appeared briefly but ran off again.

Verwey was clearly intoxicated, the complaint reads, and transported to Ascension St. Mary’s for a legal blood draw. Before the blood draw, though, Verwey admitted he was drinking and was the driver of the truck.

He remains in the Racine County Jail on a $2,500 cash bond and will next be in court Oct. 6 for his preliminary hearing.